The one good thing that Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell and the Republican Party have done for American democracy in the last four years is expose how utterly broken our political system is.
Here are just a few examples of the president’s abuses of power and failures to properly use the office of the presidency:
- The president blatantly uses his public office for private gain with impunity.
- He does nothing to protect the American people from a deadly pandemic while hundreds of thousands of people are dying.
- He sues to overturn the Affordable Care Act and eliminate healthcare for millions of Americans without providing a viable alternative.
- He separates thousands of immigrant children from their parents putting many in cages in order to deter other immigrants from crossing the border.
And, McConnell has been the president’s partner in undermining our democratic system:
- He has single-handily blocked the Senate from voting on hundreds of bills, many of them bipartisan, passed by the House of Representatives.
- He has prevented the Senate from even considering President Obama’s nominations of over 100 judges.
- He has rammed through a nomination to the Supreme Court eight days before the election after denying a hearing for another Supreme Court nomination by Obama many months prior to the last presidential election.
Plus, our political system is clearly broken when:
- It permits a party, the Republicans, to control the U.S. Senate when its senators represent 15 million fewer Americans than Democratic senators do.
- The Texas Republican governor can reduce drop off boxes for absentee ballots to one per county when one county alone has over four million voters.
- Voters, mainly non-white, in Republican-controlled states like Georgia, Ohio and South Carolina have to wait in line hours and hours to vote.
- One party, the Republicans, can uses various legal tactics to suppress the vote.
- The rights of all our citizens to vote is not protected and they do not have equal access to voting for the officials who govern our country.
Only one candidate for president, Joe Biden, and one party’s candidates for Senate, the Democrats, want to fix our broken political system. If you want our democracy to work for the people rather than for special interests and the very wealthy, go vote for them today. And, urge your friends and colleagues to do the same. The future of our democracy is at stake.
Bruce Berlin, J.D.
A retired, public sector ethics attorney, Berlin is the author of Breaking Big Money’s Grip on America (See breakingbigmoneysgrip.com.), the founder of New Mexicans for Money Out of Politics, a former U.S. Institute of Peace fellow, and the founder and former executive director of The Trinity Forum for International Security and Conflict Resolution. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to this blog at https://breakingbigmoneysgrip.com/my-blog-3/. Join the movement to revive our democracy. Together we can save the soul of America.
Trump sure pissed a lot of people off.
I for one plan on staying pissed.
I hope others do too.